Disaster Response Officer
Uren per week
Vacature loopt tot
36 - 40
Job location: Apeldoorn
Starting date: As soon as possible
Vacancy closing date: 26th February 2020
Working hours: Fulltime (40 hours)
We are here for our neighbours in need, who are suffering in this broken world.
We are here for people who have lost everything due to wars or natural disasters. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies. After that, we are faithful and help them rebuild their lives – until they are ready to help themselves again.
The international work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. ZOA is active in multiple countries in Africa, Middle East Region and Asia. ZOA works approximately with 900 employees worldwide.
Global emergencies, including armed conflict and natural disaster, continue to increase and result in unprecedented levels of forced displacement and human suffering. ZOA aims to increase its capacity to rapidly respond and address the needs of those affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. To enable ZOA to address these needs effectively and efficiently
ZOA is looking for a
Disaster Response Officer
Purpose of the position
As a member of the Disaster Response Team, the Disaster Response Officer supports field operations that are initiated after a disaster occurs. These operations can be in- and outside ZOA countries. The Disaster Response Officer thus contributes to the extra organisational capacity that is required to respond to a sudden crisis.
In a ZOA country
· Support the CD in exploring the possibilities for ZOA to become involved in disaster response operations;
· At the request of the CD, design and roll out disaster response programs under supervision of the Director Disaster Response at ZOA NL;
· If based in the country that has experienced the crisis, support the CD to establish and maintain contacts with representatives of the local government, relevant embassies, institutional donors, INGOs and Local NGOs etc;
· As directed by the CD, support and strengthen the capacity of local organisations to respond;
· As directed by the CD, develop proposals that respond to the crisis, manage projects, write reports.
Outside a ZOA country
· Research the possibilities for ZOA to respond to a crisis or disaster which may be sudden on-set, slow on-set, natural disaster or man-made crisis;
· Writes Disaster Response Operations Plan (DROP);
· For sudden on-set emergency, conduct needs assessment and quick impact projects within one week of the crisis;
· Recruits local staff teams;
· Set up ZOA country projects for direct implementation or partner implementation;
· Develop strategy for 2nd phase response depending on the needs assessment;
· Procures necessary assets and facilities (cars, offices etc);
· Support institutional donor acquisition.
Knowledge and experience
· Fluency in English, proficiency in French would be an asset;
· Relevant educational background;
· A minimum of five years relevant work experience in emergency projects;
· Knowledge of emergency donor requirements.
· Good verbal and written communication skills
· Good networking skills
· Good proposal writing and reporting skills
· Capable to set up and run an organisation
· Pioneering qualities (taking initiative, self starter)
· Experienced (people) manager
· Knowledge in one or more of
o Emergency shelter
o Emergency WASH
o Cash transfers
o Security management
o Needs assessments
(expertise will be provided by ZOA Apeldoorn).
· The candidate is expected to fully support the vision and mission of ZOA
· Flexible attitude, yet result oriented
· Ability to cope with stress
Being able to move quickly between different countries dependent on the occurrence of disasters worldwide and ZOA’s involvement in these.
Based at the ZOA office in the Netherlands.
Available to work up to 50% of the time abroad, preferably in assignments of at least 6 weeks
ZOA offers you a challenging job, an inspiring and motivated Disaster Response team and good benefits and remuneration that suits the charities sector.
Do you need more information?
For more information about ZOA, please visit at our website www.zoa.nl
If you have questions about this vacancy, you can contact Ina Hogendoorn, Director Disaster Response Team via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested and you want to apply?
ZOA operates with an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women and men, people of all nationalities, and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via: https://www.zoa.nl/vacature/disaster-response-officer/